If you now know the disadvantages of using free blogging platforms ,you will want to learn how to set up your own Nigerian WordPress blog or website. The process is not difficult but you may make some mistakes but after a few set ups you will get used to it. WordPress is very versatile and can be easily setup and used for anything you can think of online.
Forums , membership websites , static websites, squeeze pages, sales pages, shop fronts ,etc can be created with WordPress.
A Run Through Of How To Set Up A WordPress Installation
- Get a domain name and web hosting
- Log into your hosting account and select a the installation script
- Select the directory for the installation and add the required information and click install
- Login into your site or blog and set it up
- Select a WordPress theme and add plug-ins
Details Of How To Install and Set Up A WordPress Blog or Website
- I am not going to waste your time with picking domain names and web hosting because I have written about them already. If your are a Nigerian reading this, there are 2 kinds of web hosting you can buy.
- .Local third party web hosting (limited and expensive)
- .Direct International web hosting
I now use FatCow to host all my blogs and websites. I will explain how to install WordPress using the two services.
2. Log Into Your Hosting Account And Select A The Installation Script
Log into your account on the web hosting service where your domain is hosted. If you are using syskay or other third party ,when you log in head to where you have scripts and software. Click on Fantastico Deluxe .
This will take you to where all kinds of free scripts and free softwares that kind be install on your domain can be found.
Select WordPress and click on new installation.
Other web hosting may have something similar or different . Whatever they call it, just look around and find the category that handle popular scripts installation.
For FatCow hosting and other international web hosting services , this process is similar but the name of the page maybe different. It could be called Script Manager or something like that. Just select WordPress installation.
3. Select The Directory For The Installation And Add The Required Information And Click Install
Select the domain you want to install WordPress on. If you want to install it on a directory on the domain, create one and name it in the space provided. If you want to install WordPress on the main directory of the domain then leave it black.
You will be required to provide the following:
- The name you intend to call your blog
- The admin username
- A strong password
- An e-mail address that you can be reached with
When you are through with this, store the information (username and password) somewhere you can remember then click install.
Your WordPress installation is now done in less than 5 minutes.
4. Login Into Your Site Or Blog And Set It Up
This is a summary of 20 things you should do after setting up a blog. To do many of these things you need to log into the back office of your blog.
Here is how to do it. Type www.yourdomainname.com/wp-admin on the browser. Or just add wp-admin to the complete domain name. if you had installed with a directory ,add the directory to the domain before adding wp-admin. Like this. www.domainname.com/directoryname/wp-admin
A login page will appear asking for your username and password. Type the username and password you used when installing the blog.
This will open up to the dashboard of your blog or website.
5. Select A WordPress Theme And Add Plug-Ins
After logging into your account you can change the look of your blog or website. Click on Appearance —> Themes to change the default theme of the blog.
There are so many free WordPress themes you can choose from. You can search for the ones with the parameters you like then pick one.
There are so many WordPress plug-ins that you can install on your blog to help it work perfectly well.
Here is a list of 10 useful wordpress plugins
- Google analytics
- Related posts
- seo smart links
- go codes
- tweet meme
- facebook lin buttons
- platinum SEO
- XML sitemap
Here is another list of top WordPress plug-ins you can install on your blog.
After doing this you can now change your blog to whatever you want to use it for.
Click this link to watch a video on how to install WordPress on a domain if that is what you prefer .
If you have another question about how to install WordPress or if you have any issues ,please contribute or ask in the comments.
I have prepared a comprehensive course that goes over how to install WordPress blogs and websites and set up a brand new website in 3 days. It goes into more details and gives more tips.
If you have not read my free guide that reveals The Truth and Lies about Making Money from Nigeria, you are losing big time.Add your e-mail below to CLAIM your copy.
Discover How To Start A Legit Online Business In Nigeria Especially If You Have A Full Time Job ...Or Have Money To Invest And Don't Know What To Do
- Get FREE helpful information via e-mail
- Download all my FREE e-books
- Get discounts for all my New Courses
- Be the first to read my next article
- Gain access to me and ask questions